Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Indulge in the comforting flavors of the South with our delectable Sweet Potato Pie. This classic dessert is a warm and creamy slice of tradition that’s perfect for any occasion. It combines the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes with aromatic spices, all encased in a flaky pie crust. Follow this unique and easy-to-follow recipe to create a Sweet Potato Pie that will have everyone asking for seconds.
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
For the Sweet Potato Filling:
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (from about 2 large sweet potatoes)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Step 1: Prepare the Pie Crust
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Add cold, cubed butter and cut it into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or two forks until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together. Form it into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
Step 2: Roast and Mash the Sweet Potatoes
- Wash and prick the sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Place them on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until they are tender.
- Let the sweet potatoes cool, then peel and mash them. You should have about 2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes.
Step 3: Prepare the Sweet Potato Filling
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, whole milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger, and salt.
- Mix until all the ingredients are well combined, and the filling is smooth.
Step 4: Roll Out the Pie Crust
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled dough into a circle to fit your pie dish.
- Transfer the rolled-out crust into the pie dish, trim any excess, and crimp the edges.
Step 5: Pour the Filling
- Pour the sweet potato filling into the prepared pie crust, spreading it out evenly.
Step 6: Bake
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the filling is set, and a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 7: Cool and Serve
- Allow the Sweet Potato Pie to cool at room temperature for about 2 hours before serving.
- Slice and serve, optionally with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Conclusion: Sweet Potato Pie is a comforting, homestyle dessert that celebrates the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes and a blend of warming spices. It’s a wonderful addition to your holiday table or any gathering where you want to share a slice of Southern tradition. Follow this easy-to-make recipe, and savor the rich and creamy goodness of Sweet Potato Pie. Your family and friends will appreciate this delightful treat!