Classic Goulash Recipe
Goulash is a beloved and hearty dish that has been enjoyed for generations. This Classic Goulash recipe is a comforting combination of tender beef, savory spices, and rich tomato sauce. It’s a satisfying meal that warms your soul and fills your kitchen with enticing aromas. In this guide, we’ll take you through the steps to create a delicious Goulash that’s perfect for family dinners or gatherings with friends.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream (for garnish, optional)
- Cooked egg noodles or rice (for serving)
Step 1: Brown the Beef
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef stew meat cubes and brown them on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot and set it aside.
Step 2: Sauté Onions and Garlic
- In the same pot, add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Sauté until the onions become translucent and fragrant.
Step 3: Add Paprika and Caraway Seeds
- Sprinkle the paprika and caraway seeds (if using) over the onions and garlic. Stir to coat the mixture with the spices.
Step 4: Return Beef and Add Tomatoes
- Return the browned beef to the pot.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste, stirring to combine.
Step 5: Pour in Beef Broth
- Pour the beef broth into the pot.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and add the bay leaf.
Step 6: Simmer
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Allow the Goulash to simmer for 2-3 hours or until the beef becomes tender. Stir occasionally.
Step 7: Add Bell Peppers
- About 30 minutes before serving, add the chopped red and green bell peppers to the pot. Continue simmering until the peppers are tender.
Step 8: Serve
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve the Goulash hot over cooked egg noodles or rice.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Conclusion: Classic Goulash is a timeless dish that offers a blend of rich flavors and tender beef that’s perfect for cozy family dinners or gatherings with friends. This recipe takes you on a culinary journey to enjoy the heartwarming and satisfying taste of Goulash. Whether you serve it over egg noodles or rice, the rich tomato sauce and aromatic spices will leave your taste buds craving for more. Enjoy this comforting meal and the memories it evokes!