Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie is a timeless classic, a delightful dessert that combines a zesty lemon filling with a fluffy, golden meringue topping. This recipe has been passed down through generations, and it’s a sweet reminder of the love and warmth of family gatherings. Follow these steps to create a Lemon Meringue Pie that will transport you back to the taste of childhood, with a perfect balance of tangy and sweet flavors.
Ingredients: For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
For the Lemon Filling:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the Meringue Topping:
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 1: Prepare the Pie Crust
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Add cold, cubed butter and cut it into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or two forks until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together. Form it into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
Step 2: Roll Out the Crust
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled dough into a circle to fit your pie dish.
- Transfer the rolled-out crust into the pie dish, trim any excess, and crimp the edges.
Step 3: Pre-bake the Crust
- Line the crust with parchment paper and add pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Remove the weights and parchment paper and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
Step 4: Make the Lemon Filling
- In a saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt.
- Gradually add water, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once it thickens, remove it from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Gradually whisk the egg mixture into the hot sugar mixture.
- Return to the heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until it thickens further.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter until melted, and set aside.
Step 5: Make the Meringue Topping
- In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
Step 6: Assemble the Pie
- Pour the lemon filling into the pre-baked pie crust.
- Top the lemon filling with the meringue, making sure to spread it to the edges to seal the pie.
Step 7: Bake Again
- Place the pie in the oven and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 12-15 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown.
Step 8: Cool and Serve
- Allow the pie to cool at room temperature for about 2 hours before slicing.
- Serve Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie and enjoy this timeless dessert!
Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie is a nostalgic treat that brings back fond memories. The tangy lemon filling and the airy meringue create a harmonious blend of flavors and textures. Share this classic dessert with your loved ones and savor the taste of tradition that’s been cherished for generations.