Beef Liver and Onions Recipe
Beef Liver and Onions is a classic and hearty dish that’s loved by many. This recipe offers a simple and delicious way to prepare beef liver, ensuring it’s tender and flavorful. The sautéed onions add a sweet and savory component that pairs perfectly with the rich taste of the liver. In this guide, we’ll walk you through creating a satisfying and traditional Beef Liver and Onions dish that’s sure to become a favorite at your dinner table.
- 1 pound beef liver, sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 1/4 cup beef broth (or water)
Step 1: Prepare the Beef Liver
- Rinse the beef liver slices under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow dish, combine the all-purpose flour with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and dried thyme (if using).
- Dredge each liver slice in the seasoned flour, ensuring it’s evenly coated. Shake off any excess flour.
Step 2: Sauté the Onions
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and sauté them until they become soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the onions from the skillet and set them aside.
Step 3: Cook the Liver
- In the same skillet, add more butter and oil if needed. Place the coated liver slices in the hot skillet.
- Sear the liver for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they are browned and cooked to your desired level of doneness. Liver should be pink on the inside but not bloody.
- If needed, you can cook the liver in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
Step 4: Deglaze with Beef Broth
- Pour the beef broth (or water) into the skillet to deglaze it, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. This adds flavor to the dish.
Step 5: Combine Liver and Onions
- Return the sautéed onions to the skillet and stir them with the liver slices, allowing them to reheat.
Step 6: Serve
- Transfer the Beef Liver and Onions to a serving platter.
- Garnish with fresh herbs or parsley, if desired.
- Serve the dish hot, accompanied by your favorite side dishes, such as mashed potatoes, vegetables, or crusty bread.
Conclusion: Beef Liver and Onions is a comforting and wholesome meal that delivers a combination of rich flavors and satisfying textures. The tender, seared liver pairs beautifully with the sweet sautéed onions, creating a classic dish that’s perfect for a hearty dinner. Whether you’re a longtime fan or new to this culinary experience, this recipe provides a delicious and straightforward way to enjoy Beef Liver and Onions.