Homemade Turtle Candy with Pecans and Caramel
Indulge in the sweet and nutty delight of our Homemade Turtle Candy with Pecans and Caramel. This classic confection combines the richness of caramel, the crunch of pecans, and the decadence of chocolate to create a treat that’s truly irresistible. Whether you’re making these candies as a special gift or a personal indulgence, they’re a delightful addition to any occasion. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps to create mouthwatering Turtle Candy that will satisfy your sweet cravings.
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 24 soft caramel candies, unwrapped
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (chips or chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Step 1: Toast the Pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread the pecan halves on a baking sheet and toast them in the preheated oven for about 5-7 minutes, or until they become fragrant and slightly golden. Be careful not to burn them. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Step 2: Prepare Pecan Clusters
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Arrange clusters of three pecan halves together on the prepared baking sheet, forming the base of each turtle candy. Leave some space between each cluster for spreading.
Step 3: Melt Caramel
- In a microwave-safe bowl or on the stovetop over low heat, melt the unwrapped caramel candies. Stir until the caramel is smooth and creamy.
Step 4: Create the Caramel Layer
- Spoon a small amount of melted caramel over each pecan cluster, creating a smooth layer of caramel. Ensure that the caramel reaches all edges of the pecan clusters.
Step 5: Cool
- Allow the caramel to cool and set on the pecan clusters. This will take about 20-30 minutes at room temperature or you can speed up the process by placing them in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
Step 6: Melt Chocolate
- In a microwave-safe bowl or on the stovetop over low heat, melt the semi-sweet chocolate along with the vegetable oil. Stir until smooth.
Step 7: Coat with Chocolate
- Spoon the melted chocolate over the caramel layer, covering the entire pecan cluster. Make sure the chocolate reaches the edges of the caramel and pecans.
Step 8: Finish and Cool
- Allow the chocolate to set and cool on the parchment-lined baking sheet. You can speed up the process by placing the candies in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
Step 9: Serve and Enjoy
- Once the chocolate is fully set, your Homemade Turtle Candy with Pecans and Caramel is ready to enjoy. Serve or package as desired.
Conclusion: Homemade Turtle Candy with Pecans and Caramel is a delightful treat that combines the sweetness of caramel, the crunch of pecans, and the richness of chocolate. Whether you make them for yourself or as a thoughtful gift, these candies are sure to please any sweet tooth. Enjoy the delectable blend of flavors and textures in every bite of these homemade Turtle Candies.